The Las Cruces City Council met jointly with members of the City’s Planning and Zoning Commission via video conference on Tuesday, April 13, 2021 for a Special Work Session to review and discuss the Draft East Lohman Avenue Development Plan.
The Special Work Session allowed the Council and Commission the opportunity to provide feedback on the preferred draft development scenario for the East Lohman Avenue Development Plan.
The East Lohman planning team has incorporated community and stakeholder input from the Vision Survey and Community Charrette into a draft preferred plan for the East Lohman Avenue Development Area. Sites Southwest, of Las Cruces, prepared the preferred draft development scenario in consultation and with input from City Council, the Planning and Zoning Commission, City staff, stakeholders, and interested City residents.
A virtual public design charrette was conducted in December 2020 by Sites Southwest that resulted in three potential development scenarios. The three scenarios were then further analyzed for the development of the preferred development scenario.
The City of Las Cruces is undergoing a land development master plan and real estate market analysis to determine the development potential for City-owned property adjacent to the East Lohman Avenue Corridor. The site is approximately 110 acres.
The objectives of the East Lohman Avenue Development Plan are to:
- Guide the redevelopment of the City-owned property by identifying the appropriate land use mix, zoning, subdivision needs, public improvements, and potential development partnerships.
- Assure integration and connectivity with the recreation facilities and natural arroyos present in the proposed plan area.
- Assure new development in East Lohman Avenue Corridor has feasible development potential and complements other development in the city.
The project includes a feasibility analysis to determine the development potential of the East Lohman Avenue Corridor and to promote the development and marketing of the City-owned property.
The next steps after Tuesday’s Special Work Session are:
- Sites Southwest will finalize the draft East Lohman Avenue Development Plan.
- The draft plan will be made available for additional public comment.
- It is anticipated the Planning and Zoning Commission will formally review the draft plan and offer its recommendations in May.
- City Council will review and take final action on the draft plan. The intent is to be able to submit the plan to City Council for adoption in June or July.
- Public comments will also be accepted when the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council each conduct their reviews in the upcoming months.
Once the East Lohman Avenue Development Plan has been adopted by City Council, it will guide the future development, improvements and building of City-owned property south of Lohman Avenue and east of Roadrunner Parkway.
Details, contact information, and the ability to make public comments about the East Lohman Avenue Development Plan can be found online at: https://www.planeastlohman.com.