The City of Las Cruces has launched a second round of the Las Cruces Small Business Continuity Grant Program to assist Las Cruces businesses and nonprofits who have been negatively impacted by COVID-19.
The one-time grants of as much as $20,000 for qualifying small businesses and nonprofits are designed to cover costs of business interruption and redesign such as non-owner employee wages, vendor bills, rent, mortgage payments, marketing, outdoor dining expenses, sanitization supplies, PPE, and utility costs caused by required city and state closures. Funds have been provided by the federal government through the State of New Mexico via the 2020 CARES Act.
The application process will open on Dec. 1 and closes on Dec. 6, 2020. Applications will be submitted online through the City of Las Cruces website: www.las-cruces.org/covidgrant and will be facilitated by the City of Las Cruces Economic Development Department.
City Economic Development Director Griselda Martinez said round one of the grant programs was very successful, but after all applications were funded there was enough money remaining to offer a second round.
“Over 300 businesses received funding during the first round,” Martinez said. “We know those funds will be instrumental to keep their doors open, especially in light of the recent restrictions. We are looking forward to providing additional support to local small businesses.”
Las Cruces Small Business Continuity Grants are limited to businesses and nonprofits physically located within Las Cruces. Funds can only be used to reimburse the costs of business interruption caused by required closures or additional costs incurred to meet the guidelines of the Public Health Order, provided those costs are not paid by insurance or by another federal, state, or local program.
The State of New Mexico has made a couple of changes to the eligibility requirements to include businesses with as many as 100 employees and those who made as much as $5 million in revenue in 2019.
- Maximum of $20,000 for qualifying small businesses physically located within the City of Las Cruces, including mobile vendors.
- Business types include C-Corps, LLC, Partnership, Sole Proprietorship, and 501 (C) 3 Nonprofits.
- Applicants with less than 100 employees on Feb. 29, 2020, are eligible.
- Applicants must have made no more than $5 million in gross revenue in 2019.
- Applicants must have had valid business registration issued by the City of Las Cruces no later than March 10, 2020.
- Applicants must be willing to provide requested financial information for 2019 and 2020.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial hardship due to COVID-19.
- Funds must be used to reimburse costs incurred because of required closures, provided those costs are not paid by insurance or by any other federal, state, or local program.
Eligible business continuity expenses include:
- Non-owner employee payroll
- Scheduled mortgage payments
- Installing plexiglass barriers
- Purchasing web-conferencing or other technology to facilitate work-at-home
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) and sanitizing supplies
- Equipment for outdoor dining and operations such as chairs, tables, shades, fences, misting systems, or heaters
To apply for a Las Cruces Small Business Continuity Grant, visit www.las-cruces.org/covidgrant. For questions, contact the Economic Development Department at 575/541-2150, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For other business support programs, please visit www.las-cruces.org/businesssupport.
For businesses in Doña Ana County, contact the Greater Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce at https://www.lascruces.org/cares-act-relief-funds-small-business-grants/.