Meerscheidt Recreation Center, 1600 E. Hadley Ave., and Frank O’Brien Papen Community Center, 304 W. Bell Ave., will reopen on Oct. 5 for specific recreational programming, in keeping with the most recent lowering of restrictions mandated by the Governor’s Office and New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH).
Beginning Monday, Oct. 5, community members can reserve the cardio/weight room or register youth for weekly skills development camps for sports like basketball, volleyball, soccer, and baseball at Meerscheidt Recreation Center by calling 575/541-2563 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday. Youth camps will begin on Oct. 12.
Frank O’Brien Papen Community Center (FOP) will offer table tennis by reservation from 8 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday, also beginning Oct. 5.
All participants and staff will be required to observe COVID-19 guidelines (https://cv.nmhealth.org/covid-safe-practices/) already in place including wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, and keeping group gatherings to 10 participants or fewer. Youth camp participants will have their temperatures checked by staff prior to the start of each session, no spectators will be allowed during camps, and participants must bring their own water.
Programs and Schedules
Meerscheidt Recreation Center
Cardio/Weight Room – Effective Oct. 5
8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Monday through Friday
9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Closed on Sunday
No rentals at this facility
Fee – $1 per session
· Cardio (in recreation gym) and weight room are available by appointment only.
· Each session is 45 minutes. (Equipment and area will be sanitized between sessions.)
· Reservations can be made one day in advance, one appointment per day per customer by calling 575/541-2563 during business hours. (Same day reservations can be made if space is available.)
· Showers and lockers will not be available.
· Fitness classes are not offered at this time.
Youth Skill Development Camps (weekly) – Effective Oct. 12
Youths will participate in a variety of skills development opportunities in their chosen sport (basketball, volleyball, soccer, and baseball) led by athletic recreation coordinators. Camps will be offered on a week-to-week basis.
· 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
· Monday, Wednesday, Friday
· Fee – Free
· October 12, 14, and 16 – Soccer
· October 19, 21 and 23 – Baseball
· October 26, 28, and 30 – Basketball
· November 2, 4 and 6 – Volleyball
Camps are open to 7- to 11-year-olds. Participation is limited to 10 per camp.
Registration for free sports skills camps will be offered on a first come, first serve basis beginning Oct. 5 by calling Meerscheidt Recreation Center at 575/541-2563. Participants may reserve one sports skills camp of their choice and can be added to an additional camp waitlist if interested.
Frank O’Brien Papen Community Center
The facility is open for limited programming as follows.
Closed Saturday and Sunday
No rentals at this facility.
Table Tennis (Effective Oct. 5)
· 8 a.m. to noon
· Monday through Friday
· Reservation only, 24 hours in advance.
· For Monday reservations, call on Friday.
· To make reservations, call 575/541-2455 between 8 a.m. to noon.
East Mesa Recreation Center, 5589 Porter Drive
The facility is currently open for tutoring sessions only.
Closed Saturday and Sunday.
No rentals at this facility.
For more information, go to www.las-cruces.org/178/Parks-Recreation. Contact Parks and Recreation Department Administration Offices by calling 575/541-2550 or by email at ParksandRecAdmin@las-cruces.org.