Permits are required to burn within the Las Cruces City Limits. These permits are only good for the day they are issued and can be picked up at any of your local city Fire Stations. Permits shall constitute permission to burn limited quantities of dry weeds or grass in accordance with section 105.6 and 307 of the International Fire Code.
Rules & Regulations
- The permittee shall burn only between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. (6 p.m. June, July and August)
- The permittee shall at all times be kept on the premises designated therein and shall be subject to inspection by the office of the police or fire department.
- The fire is not to be less than 50 feet from any structure and is made to prevent spreading to within 50 feet from any structure.
- The fire must be constantly attended by a competent person until fully extinguished.
- The permittee must provide a water source for extinguishment on the premises.
- No burning will be conducted if wind prevails.
Failure to Comply
Failure to comply shall constitute a violation of sections 105.6 and 307 of the International Fire Code and result in a subsequent criminal complaint by the Las Cruces Fire Prevention Services. The Las Cruces Fire Department reserves the right to revoke a permit at any time.
For more information regarding open burning or to inquire about obtaining special burn permits (ex. bonfires), please contact Prevention Services at 575-528-3473.