Yard Waste & Green Waste
ATTENTION: COMPOST MATERIAL IS AVAILABLE
When possible, Las Cruces Utilities assists residents and businesses in recycling yard waste into rich organic material, instead of landfilling it.
Composted mulch is available FREE back to the community. Compost material is available to residents; and for commercial customers compost is available on a first come, first serve basis(limited quantities while supplies last).
DROP OFF GREEN WASTE AT THE "OLD FOOTHILLS LANDFILL"
555 S. Sonoma Ranch Blvd
- Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Closed Sunday
- FREE drop off for residents
- Commercial businesses pay $22.70 per ton. Check and cash are acceptable forms of payment.
SAFETY GUIDELINES: For your safety, the safety of our employees, and to keep the equipment in good operating condition.
Tree limbs may not exceed 5-feet in length or 5-inches in diameter. Palm trees must be less than 2-feet in length and diameter. This length and diameter makes it easier for everyone: residents can get the heavy pieces of trunk into their truck beds...and we can chip it without damaging our machinery.
- For yuccas please call Las Cruces Solid Waste Utilities (575) 528-3700 ahead of time for a case-by-case evaluation to determine the best way to dispose this material while being mindful of the equipment.
- No dirt please, this includes sod, dirt root balls on plants, and dirt in raked material. Dirt and rock are damaging to the chipper.
- Please take yard waste and tree leaves OUT of plastic bags, and dump in the pile at the Old Foothills Landfill.
- No trash in the yard waste. This includes paper and plastics. Please check for any tools you may have left behind.
OUR GRAPPLER SERVICE CAN PICKUP YOUR YARD WASTE...
Residents can set sections of Palm tree trunks (no larger than 2-feet) and regular tree trunks (no longer than 5-feet or 18-inches in diameter) or branches (no longer than 5-feet and 5-inches in diameter) at the curb for Grappler pickup, following the same measurement guidelines (listed above). Please note: green waste picked up by the grappler may not be recycled. Generally, it goes to Corralitos Landfill.
- Stack the green waste neatly at the curb, it does not have to be tied, but leaves and small branches should be bagged.
- All green waste placed at the curb should be separate from any other trash, furniture, your trash container or obstacles.
- An amount equal to two level half-ton pickup truckloads or 4 cubic yards which is equivalent to four 5x3x2 adjacent piles will be picked up FREE by the Grappler on your pick up day.
- Larger loads can be scheduled for pick up for an additional charge ranging from $108.25 for approximately 5 cubic yards to $434.14 for approximately 22 cubic yards. Call Customer Service at (575) 541-2111 to schedule additional pickups.
- Residential Grappler pickup is once a month on your regular trash day. Refer to Grappler Calendar to verify your grappler service day.
- Yard waste is chipped, ground up, piled up, watered, and left in the sun to "cook" for several months to destroy weed seeds and make plant material useful for landscaping. The composted mulch is available FREE to residents.
- Composted mulch is very useful in dust abatement and erosion control. It provides great ground cover to hold moisture longer, which in turn helps conserve water and promotes re-vegetation. For more information about water conservation, see Water Conservation.
If your green waste items do not fit within the guidelines above, please call Solid Waste at 528-3700 and on a case-by-case basis, we will do our best to help you dispose of your material properly.