Skip to main content

How to File a Claim

The best place to start a claim is with your insurance company. They have the expertise to manage the process and mitigate your damages in a timely manner. You can also file directly with the City of Las Cruces, Risk Management Department.

In most cases, per the New Mexico Tort Claims Act, you have ninety (90) days from the date of the incident to file a claim with the City of Las Cruces.

Claims may be submitted in person, by mail, fax, or email.

Physical Address:

City Hall

700 N. Main St., Suite 3500

Las Cruces, NM 88001

Mailing Address:

City of Las Cruces

Risk Management Department

P.O. Box 20000

Las Cruces, NM 88004

Fax Number:



However you choose to submit the claim form, the requested information is the same. All claims against the City of Las Cruces must be made using either the Liability Claim Form or the Discolored Water Claim Form. All information and supporting documents submitted will not be returned. Keep copies for your records. Copies will not be made in office.

List of items that should be submitted to support claim:

Police Report, photographs of damage, quotation(s) for repair/replacement, invoices/proof of purchase. Please not that this is not an exhaustive list. Other documents may be requested if necessary.

Following the receipt of a claim the Risk Management Office will:

  • Conduct an investigation to verify that the event was caused by the City of Las Cruces and not another person or entity. The City will not pay for a loss when another person or entity caused the loss.
  • Verify the actual loss.
  • If we determine that you have suffered a loss where the City was liable, an offer to settle will be made. If we pay for the replacement of damaged items you will be required to surrender those items. Any items disposed of before obtaining written permission from the City of Las Cruces Risk Management Department will not be considered part of the claim.
  • When a decision is made, the claimant will be notified via mail.
  • Claims are normally processed within 30 days after the receipt of the claim form.

Be advised that the City is prohibited from providing legal advice. Claimants should consult an attorney as needed. If you are represented by an attorney, we will only communicate with you through your attorney.