Volunteer Groups often come to participate in city-sponsored programs either for special events, one-time or ongoing special projects, or to fulfill a group community service requirement. We are happy to work with groups of volunteers. However, because of the added level of coordination needed for connecting groups to volunteer opportunities, it is preferred that groups contact the Network Volunteer Center Coordinator, Ryan Steinmetz, at email@example.com or 575-528-3035 at least a month in advance (for larger group projects, even more advance notice is recommended) so that staff and project details can be arranged. Below is the process for volunteer groups:
1. Group leader should contact the Volunteer Coordinator to check for availability of group volunteer opportunities.
2. Group leader should fill out the Group Registration cover sheet here, listing all group participants. Each group member will need to fill out their member registration here. Group Registration Packet (cover sheet and individual registrations) can be turned in prior to the event or on the day of event, but must be completed to participate in volunteer service.
3. Once volunteer group project is approved, then Volunteer Coordinator will contact group leader, who will then notify their group members about project details.
Note: Group registration ensures that all volunteers are covered by our CIMA Volunteer Insurance Policy. For details on this policy, click here.
Groups are always super helpful whenever a big project arises. Here are some potential volunteer opportunities for your group or organization.
- Yard Assistance Program for Seniors—Crews needed to help seniors with yard maintenance. Weed-pulling, leaf-raking, bagging of yard debris, and lawn-mowing are some of the tasks needed for this project. (Good for groups of 4-8)
- Food Distribution Project—Your group can help sponsor one of our food distribution sites throughout the city happening once a month at any one of our five community center locations—Munson, Eastside, Benavidez, Frank O’Brien Papen, or Sage Cafe. Volunteers are needed to help set-up and tear-down the food distribution, assist participants in taking their food to their vehicle, or helping participants move through the food line.
- Holiday/Volunteer Appreciation Events or Monthly Dances at Senior Center—Groups can help with various celebrations that happen throughout the Senior Centers and Volunteer Program. Volunteers can help with set-up/tear-down, decorations, passing out refreshments, and dancing with participants.
- Munson Center Community Garden and Senior Center Grounds Clean-ups—Help is always needed at the start of a garden year, spreading out the new soil and planting new seeds. Groups can also help with turning the compost and keeping grounds cleanespecially during our windy seasons!
- Community Events—Participate in our annual Volunteer Fair happening in March/April, or participate in other city-sponsored events like the Water Festival, or WinterFest at the Railroad Museum—many other opportunities available throughout the year!
- Keep Las Cruces Beautiful and Adopt-a-Park—This is coordinated through our Parks and Recreation Department on this page.