Skip to main content

Man Wanted for El Paso Deadly Shooting Suspected in Las Cruces Brutal Home Invasion 2018

The man believed to be responsible for the Thanksgiving Day triple-shooting in El Paso is suspected of brutally beating an 86-year-old man in Las Cruces and kidnapping two women during a home invasion that preceded the El Paso incident.

Jason Aaron Gibson, 38, of Mesa, Ariz., is charged in Las Cruces with three counts of kidnapping, four counts of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated burglary and larceny of a firearm. Gibson was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service on Tuesday, Nov. 27, in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Las Cruces police investigators learned that Gibson, who has no known connection to the city, entered Encantada Park, a gated mobile home community in central Las Cruces, either late Nov. 21 or early in the morning on Nov. 22. Once in the mobile home park, Gibson is believed to have forced his way into a home on the 1300 block of Wolf Trail. Inside the home, it’s believed Gibson brutally beat the 86-year-old man who resides there alone.

About 11 a.m. on Nov. 22, the 64-year-old daughter of the victim, along with her 64-year-old female friend, arrived to pick up the 86-year-old man for their Thanksgiving meal which was to be celebrated at another relative’s home. Investigators learned that once the daughter and her friend entered the home, they were confronted by an unknown man. The man, later identified as Gibson, was armed with a taser in one hand and a black handgun in the other.

Investigators learned that Gibson ordered the daughter to tie up her friend using duct tape and ordered the friend into the bathroom where the 86-year-old victim lay bleeding and badly injured on the floor. Investigators believe Gibson then ordered the 64-year-old daughter to drive him to El Paso.

Investigators believe Gibson ordered the woman to drop him off in El Paso near Hercules Avenue. The woman then drove back to her father’s home in Las Cruces where police had already been dispatched and were beginning to investigate the home invasion.

While at the Las Cruces Police Department, the 64-year-old daughter saw a television news flash about a triple-shooting that occurred on Signal Peak place in El Paso. The woman told LCPD investigators that the El Paso shooting appeared to be near where she last saw the man who kidnapped her.

Las Cruces police investigators relayed information to their counterparts with the El Paso Police Department and both agencies, along with the U.S. Marshals Service, worked in collaboration to track the suspect’s whereabouts. Las Cruces police refrained from releasing details of the Wolf Trail incident until after Gibson was taken into custody.

The 86-year-old victim from the Wolf Trail home invasion suffered multiple injuries to his head, face and hip. He was initially transported to Mountainview Regional Medical Center and then to a hospital in El Paso. His injuries, though serious, do not appear to be life-threatening. Physical injuries to the two 64-year-old women were relatively minor.