Student Video PSA Contest Winners Announced 2017
The theme of this year’s contest is “Breaking Stereotypes.”
A total of 46 entries were received from 82 middle and high school students in the Las Cruces area. This round of entries has the highest amount of submissions and participation to date. There were Silver and Gold winners, with Gold being the highest honor. Entries are judged based on content, technicality and creativity. All winners will have their video PSAs placed on CLCTV.com. Gold winners will also have their PSAs played on CLC-TV Comcast channel 20 for up to one year.
Gold winning PSAs are also posted on CLCTV.com so the public can vote for an overall favorite. The student or duo who receives the most votes for their PSA will each win a brand-new Go Pro camera. Voting will go live Monday, May 1st and the deadline to vote is Sunday, May 14th. The winning PSA will be announced on the City of Las Cruces Facebook page on Monday, May 15th.
Congratulations to the following winners:
- Silver Winners “Break Free” by Angelina Randazzo & Mackenzie Muench, 7th grade, Holy Cross Catholic School
- “Silencing Stereotypes” by Amber Leeth & Abegail Salugsugan, 12th grade, Centennial High School
- “Labels” by Andreana Armendariz, 9th grade & Dania Martinez 10th grade - Centennial High School
- “Just Because” by Joscelin Mantano, 11th grade & Tenesia Lebaron, 10th grade – Centennial High School
- “If You’re White, You’re Perfect” by Jaime Prieto & Kendra Van Doorn, 8th grade - Sierra Middle School.
- “Balloon Bullies” by Teresita Ellison & Angelina Essick, 8th grade - Holy Cross Catholic School
- “I Am More” by Aubrey Swindle, 9th grade - Centennial High School
- “How to be a Perfect Lady”” by Michaela Chavira & Ariya Nilkaew, 9th grade - Centennial High School
- “STereOtyPes” by Hunter Christmas, 12th grade – Onate High School
Gold and Silver winners will be recognized and presented awards at the May 1, 2017 City Council meeting at 1 p.m. in council chambers at City Hall, 700 N. Main St.