The City of Las Cruces offers a wide variety of teen programming and recreation opportunities to enrich the lives of the teens in our community. Through programs, we provide opportunities for teens to practice and learn leadership skills, enhance personal growth, citizenship and life skills that empower them to be confident, productive members of society.
A. FIELDER MEMORIAL SAFE HAVEN
906 N. Tornillo, Las Cruces, NM
The A. Fielder Memorial Safe Haven is a place where teens can gather in a safe environment to engage in a variety of supervised group activities focusing on teamwork, teambuilding, physical fitness, social interaction, education, life skills, community service and creativity (arts). The Safe Haven also provides a location for those who wish to mentor and role model youth in the area who are often deprived of these social supports. For more information on volunteering opportunities please contact the Volunteer Network at (575) 528-3035 or visit http://www.las-cruces.org/en/departments/administration/ccsc/volunteer
Daily Teen Programming (Mid-August through May)
- 3:45 pm – 5:20 pm Homework/Open Gym (Meerscheidt Recreation Center)
- 5:30 pm – 5:45 pm Dinner
- 5:45 pm – 7:00 pm Structured Group Activities/Local Field Trips (Examples of group activities focus on a variety of topics such as teamwork/teambuilding, physical fitness, positive social interaction, education, life skills, community service, creativity (arts), music appreciation, etc.)
- 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm Open Rec at Safe Haven Facility
- 7:30 pm End of daily programming
TEEN VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
The Teen Connection offers multiple opportunities for teens to participate in a variety of community service projects throughout the year. Volunteering for these projects helps teens gain new skills necessary for the job market such as leadership, communication skills, dependability, time management, and decision making. Teens who volunteer perform better at school and build stronger resumes for college and scholarship applications. For upcoming volunteer opportunities please see “Upcoming Events” below or contact us at (575) 528-4235.
TEEN CONNECTION SUMMER PROGRAM
The City of Las Cruces Parks & Recreation Department will be accepting registration for the 2018 Summer Teen Connection Program. The program will be open to teens going into grades 6 – 12 for the upcoming 2018/19 school year. The program will focus on the perfect balance of learning and fun and we will offer our youth the opportunity to socialize, be constructive, recreate, and make lasting relationships within our community.
Program registration will be accepted Monday, April 30 – Friday, May 25 at the following locations during regular business hours:
- A. Fielder Memorial Safe Haven, 906 N. Tornillo St.
- Parks and Recreation Administrative Office - 1501 E. Hadley Ave.
- Frank O’Brien Papen Community Center - 304 Bell St.
- Las Cruces Regional Aquatic Center - 1401 E. Hadley Ave.
- Meerscheidt Recreation Center - 1600 E. Hadley Ave.
There are limited spots available so register early.
||June 4 - August 3 (No program July 4)
||12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
||6th - 12th (2018/19 school year)
||Frank O'Brien Papen Center
304 Bell Ave, Las Cruces, NM 88005
The program is free and includes lunch and dinner daily. (Field trips may have associated fees)
No telephone registrations will be accepted. For more information please call 575/528-4253.