Skip to main content

Codes Enforcement & Animal Control

  • callCodes Car

What is Codes Enforcement?

The Las Cruces Police Department’s Codes Enforcement Section enforces codes and regulations that promote the health, safety and welfare of all citizens. The mission is to preserve the environment and beauty of our city.

Codes Enforcement officers work with the residents, businesses and other organizations to:

  • Empower our community through education and awareness of city ordinances
  • Facilitate compliance with city ordinances
  • Develop outreach programs
  • Initiate special programs targeting specific problems

The officers do this by checking residences & business's for environmental issues (weeds, trash etc.), zoning issues (excessive storage, proper use of signs, etc.) parking issues, checking business license's, and ensuring the proper building permits have been issued. Other situations that the Codes Enforcement officers are called upon may include the vagrancy issues, panhandling and graffiti.

Codes officers have outreach programs to educate the public in a variety of ways. Bicycle Rodeos, teaching the youth safe bicycle riding. You might see Codes Officer's at the Farmer's Market at a booth to give information and to hear what you have to say. Programs are taken to the schools to educate the youth as well.

The Codes Enforcement Officers work with the various departments in the City of Las Cruces to strive for a clean, safe & healthy community.

For information reference information with the Landlord/Tenant relationships and how they may apply to you, please visit the Landlord/Tenant Relations section for a useful guide for both renters and landlords to know their rights and responsibilities under the New Mexico Uniform Owner-Residents Relations Act, more commonly known as the “Landlord-Tenant Law.”



Due to the new Ordinance for RV ON-STREET PARKING, permits are now required. Permits can be obtained from Community Development at City hall, East Mesa Public Safety Complex or online. For more information, please visit the Community Development's page reference RV Parking Permits.


Residents of Las Cruces can now file four types of Code Enforcement reports online instead of having to call Central Dispatch or speak with an officer.

The Las Cruces Police Department reporting system can now accept reports for graffiti, abandoned vehicles, littering or illegal dumping, and loud animals. City residents were already able to file relatively minor property crime reports of incidents that had no suspects or crime scene evidence.

Types of Codes Enforcement reports Las Cruces residents can now file online:

  • Graffiti.
  • Abandoned vehicle.
  • Littering or illegal dumping.
  • Loud animals.

Additional issues that can also be reported to the Las Cruces Police Department are the following;

  • Lost property.
  • Theft or larceny of property with no known suspects or evidence.
  • Theft from a motor vehicle with no known suspects or evidence.
  • Harassing or annoying phone calls (non-emergency).
  • Vandalism to public or private property.
  • Vandalism to motor vehicles with no known suspects or viable evidence.

The reports must be of incidents that occurred within Las Cruces city limits. Crimes that occurred outside city limits should be reported to law enforcement in their respective jurisdiction.

If the incident in question is an emergency, or if there is a known suspect or potential crime scene evidence that can be collected, the reporting party should call 911 or (575) 526-0795, the non-emergency phone number to Central Dispatch.

The system allows users to receive a temporary case number and print a copy of the unofficial report. Information submitted is reviewed by a Las Cruces Codes Enforcement officer or a Las Cruces Police officer for approval. Once approved, the information is entered into LCPD records and an official report is generated. The reporting party will receive an email confirming the report and instructions on how to print a free copy of the report. The officer can also recommend further investigation into the matter.

Click on the FILE A REPORT ONLINE to get started on keeping the City of Las Cruces a clean, safe & healthy community.

Please call us at (575) 528-4100 or go to CONTACT US if you have any questions about online reporting or any other issues.


The question has arisen from time to time, especially during summer time of the year, why worry about controlling the weeds. Certainly with the monsoon season upon us, the weeds appear to be taking over any spare piece of dirt and even the areas with vegetation already growing. Some of the larger problems with the additional weed growth consist of increased allergies, more camouflage for rodents, snakes and insects (to include mosquitos) and of course simply, unsightly. Additionally, the weed growth will reduce the area for native vegetation to grow, including that lawn that you’ve paid good money to water, cultivate and maintain. For more information reference mosquitos please click here.

The New Mexico Department of Agriculture as well as the New Mexico State University, College of Agriculture, Consumer and Environmental have identified over forty (40) different types of weeds in our area. With the amount of different species in the area, it is easy to understand the reason for the concern.

The City of Las Cruces Municipal Code has defined the word “Nuisance” as Nuisance means any person doing an unlawful act, omitting to perform a duty, or suffering or permitting any condition or thing to be or exist, which act, omission, condition or thing either:

  1. Injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health or safety of others;

  2. Offends decency;

  3. Is offensive to the senses;

  4. Unlawfully interferes with, obstructs or tends to obstruct or renders dangerous for passage any public or private street, highway, sidewalk, stream, ditch or drainage;

  5. In any way renders other persons insecure in life or the use of property; or

  6. Essentially interferes with the comfortable enjoyment of life and property, or tends to depreciate the value of the property of others.

The City of Las Cruces Municipal Code states; Section 18-2. - Illustrative enumeration. The maintaining, using, placing, depositing, leaving or permitting to be or remain on any public or private property of any of the following items, conditions or actions is declared to be and constitute a nuisance, provided that this enumeration shall not be deemed or construed to be conclusive, limiting or restrictive:

  1. Noxious weeds and other rank vegetation.

Except as otherwise provided, a person convicted of a violation of this Code shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500.00, imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days, or both. For violations of this Code that are continuous with respect to time, each day the violation continues is a separate offense.

Occasionally, Codes Officers are asked “How tall do the weeds have to be before we get a ticket?” Look at the photographs below and ask yourself “which would require a citation or need to be addressed?”

Tall Weeds

Truth is both needs to be addressed. Figure #1 you see small weeds growing but they are overtaking the ground covering area. Obviously the weeds in Figure #2 are extremely overgrown. And yes, those are tumbleweeds next to Codes Officer J. Ontiveros.

Go to the CLCTV 20 YouTube page for a video "What do Las Cruces Codes officers look for when they write citations for weeds violations".

The City of Las Cruces is our city and keeping the weeds maintained as best as possible is important. For our health, our safety and it is simply more appeasing. Please do your part to Keep Las Cruces Beautiful!


For frequently asked questions please visit our FAQ'S page.

To Report On Line

Go to ASK THE CITY and complete the form.


Ordinances that we enforce include, but are not limited to:

Building Permits Obstruction of Streets and Sidewalks
Business License Sign Violations
Inoperable vehicles Recreational Vehicles
Littering Unlisted Addresses
Nuisances/ Weeds Zoning Violations

For information on other ordinances refer to the Municipal Codes

Related City Resources

  • Business Registration
  • Permitting and Inspections
  • Development Services
  • Planning and Revitalization
  • Zoning Codes
  • Codes Officer District Map

    Who's your Codes Officer? Click here to see who your Codes Officer is assigned to your area.