Who we are:
The Youth Advisory Board is comprised of 16 school-age teenagers, who serve a one-year term on the board. They meet bi-monthly and learn about City government and the decision-making process, the community, and will have opportunities to provide input on various topics all the while, providing a youth perspective to the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board and management. Two past members are selected to serve as co-chairs and lead the board meetings.
- are selected through an application and interview process;
- meet the second Tuesday every other month – a one-year term;
- learn about the community, City government and opportunities business, banking and the nonprofit world can offer;
- gain experience in leadership and business etiquette;
- provide a youth perspective to the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board and management;
- participate in special functions and events.
Interested in joining the Parks & Recreation Youth Board?
We are currently opening the process for youth to apply for the Parks & Recreation Youth Board. Each spring, we encourage current 7th – 12th graders who live in the city to apply for the next school year. No previous leadership experience is necessary. Applications are now available and due back by May 31.
A committee of Parks & Recreation Department staff, Parks & Recreation Advisory Board members, and designees will review the applications and interview applicants. New members will be invited to join based on their potential to positively contribute to the board’s work and their capacity to represent the diversity of Las Cruces’ youth community.
What we do:
- Provide a platform for young people to grow up healthy, caring, and responsible.
- Promote the youth voice in Las Cruces.
- Implement community projects to help address youth needs through action teams.
- Plan and run our own meetings.
- Advise local agencies on youth-related issues, P&R Advisory Board, and City departments.
For more information call 575-541-2550 or email, YouthBoard@las-cruces.org with questions! The next PRYB meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 12, at the Parks and Recreation Administration Office, 1501 E. Hadley. Click here for the agenda.