2015-2019 – City of Las Cruces Mayor for four-year term. Next election is November 5, 2019
Kenneth Daniel Gallegos Miyagishima was born in Biloxi, Mississippi in 1963. He is of both Japanese and Mexican descent. He has lived in Las Cruces since 1971. He attended public schools and in 1985 graduated from New Mexico State University with degrees in finance and real estate. In 1984 – while still attending NMSU – Ken began his insurance and financial services business, which he still owns today. Ken and Rosie have four children. Danielle is attending Yale Medical School, John and Frank are both attending NMSU studying engineering. Carlos is a junior at Centennial High School.
As mayor, Ken serves on several boards that benefit Las Cruces..
State of the City Address
Professional Recognition & Community Involvement
- 2016 Antonio Villaraigosa Leadership Award - View Video
(Note: The segment with Mayor Miyagishima begins at 1:50:13.)
- 2015-2019 – City of Las Cruces Mayor
- 2011-2015 – City of Las Cruces Mayor
- 2007-2011 – City of Las Cruces Mayor
- Board Member, Metro Narcotics
- Board Member, South Central Solid Waste Authority
- Board Member, Rio Grande Council of Governments
- Board Member, Mesilla Valley Economic Development (MVEDA)
- Board Member, South Central Council of Governments
- Las Cruces Business Forum
- US-Mexico Border Mayors Association
US Conference of Mayors
- Las Cruces Chamber of Commerce
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Green Chamber of Commerce
- 2012 - Present - Vice-Chair. Finance, Taxation Committee-NMML
- 2011 - Present - Re-elected Mayor of Las Cruces
- 2011 - Present - Board of Advisors-U.S. Conference of Mayors
- 2011 - Present - Member, U.S.-Mexico Border Mayors Association
- 2007 - 2011 - Elected Mayor of Las Cruces
- 2009 - Present - Chairman, (2010), Chief Elected Officials Region 4, Southwest Area Workforce Development Board
- 2001 - 2007 - Councillor, District 6, City of Las Cruces
- 2004 - Chairman, City of Las Cruces Public Safety Committee
- 1996 - 1999 - Chairman, NM Association of Counties Insurance Authority
- 1997 - 1998 - President, Rio Grande Council of Government
- 1995, 1997 - Chairman, Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners
- 1992 - 2000 - Commissioner, Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners
- 1985 - Present - Small business owner (five employees)
Ken has achieved many milestones in his distinguished career in public service:
- 1992 – Became New Mexico’s first American of Japanese descent to be elected to public office.
- 2001- Following his election to City Council, Ken became one of only a handful of officials ever elected to both the Las Cruces City Council and Doña Ana Board of County Commissioners.
- 2002 – Ken’s accomplishments were included in the book, Distinguished Asian-American Political and Governmental Leaders, printed by Greenwood Press.
- 2005 - Ken has won two different general elections while running “unopposed,” with the other election being November 1992.
- 2007 – Graduated: FBI Citizen’s Academy, Las Cruces Resident Agency
- 2007 – Following his election as Mayor, Ken became only the second person in Dõna Ana County's history to have been elected both Chairman of the Dõna Ana County Commission and the Mayor of Las Cruces.
Education & Experience
- Las Cruces High School. Diploma, May 1981
- New Mexico State University, BBA Degree, May 1985
Degrees: Finance & Real Estate
- 2011 - Champions of Change, The White House, Washington D.C.
- 2002 - Commander’s Award for Public Service, Department of the Army
- 2000 - Voted “Best County Commissioner” in readers’ poll
- 1999 - Voted “Best County Commissioner” in readers’ poll
- 1998 - Voted “Best County Commissioner” in readers’ poll
Phone: (575) 541-2067
Fax: (575) 541-2119
Mailing Address: PO Box 20000, Las Cruces, NM 88004