Las Cruces Utilities (LCU) will conduct citywide fire flow tests at five locations on Tuesday, January 21, and another five locations on Thursday, January 23, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The affected areas for January 21, will include:
- Industrial Park Avenue west of Crawford Boulevard.
- La Mancha Estates.
- Willow Glen Drive north of Carver Road.
- Winchester Road east of Las Alturas Drive.
- Spirit Hunter Lane east of Eagle Pass Road.
The affected areas for January 23, 2020 will include:
- George Catlin Road east of Las Alturas Drive.
- Villa Estrella east of Camino Escondida.
- Noche Bella Loop north of Tellbrook Road.
- Tobosa Road in between Senna Drive and Tellbrook Road.
- Falcon Drive in between Spanish Dagger Street and Mission Bell Avenue.
The tests are being performed to determine:
- Water availability in planning for firefighting activities.
- Water availability for the design of the water system.
- Water main extension evaluation.
- System improvement and replacement planning.
- Evaluate the general condition of the water distribution system by detecting closed valves.
LCU also uses the water data to simulate high flow conditions, to determine pressures and flow-producing capabilities of the water distribution system and for the calibration of LCU’s hydraulic model.
Businesses and residents may notice discolored water due to iron, manganese and calcium deposits. Although the water is safe to drink, the City recommends waiting to wash laundry until after the water becomes clear.
The discoloration should disappear within 24 hours. If it does not, flush all faucets for five minutes. If the discoloration remains, call the Las Cruces Utilities at 526-0500 for assistance.